Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dear Cheese, I Like You

It's probably a love-hate relationship, like coconut. You either really love cheese or you don't. No room for ambivalence. If so, you've probably never experienced real cheese, just Kraft or some other fake processed stuff. This is an homage to the true delicious gourmet cheese that everyone should try.

Living in the U.S., you probably don't have a gourmet cheese shop right next door like, say France, for example. However, there is a precious gem in East Falls Church aptly named Red, White, and Bleu. We discovered this place after searching randomly and brusquely on our friends for something nearby. Little did we realize that we walked into one of our favorite shops! The outside of the store doesn't do it any justice. Don't judge the shop by it's storefront, just walk in. It's a small place but it's full of wine, gourmet cheeses, charcuterie (sliced meat for those antipasti appetizers), and knick-knacks like water crackers and jam. We were lucky enough to get a free wine tasting and lots of samples of cheese. Of course I couldn't help myself and bought about 2 lbs. worth when I left the store, but well worth it.



From my first expensive purchase I was able to really start appreciating cheese. I mostly had those fake gourmet slices of cheese for sandwiches, but never really knew the wide range of flavors cheese could offer. The most commonly tasted, brie, is creamy and salty, good with apples and honey (thank you roommate for that addictive combination). Another, cheddar has a more variable flavor and texture. It can be aged for a long time and be very flaky and sharp. On the other hand sometimes I crave that more mild sharp and creamy, less aged cheddar that is still that classic orange-y color. I don't think I've had a bad experience with cheddar. It tastes good with everything, especially wine. Red wine, stronger whites and any type of cracker. Then there's Beemster, the gouda masters. Beemster has a few types just like cheddar where there's the super aged, smelly, flaky and the less hard more soft cheese. I definitely prefer the hard, aged, flaky kind, mostly because the taste is so much stronger. Beemster XO is the best for that. However, just cutting it produces about forty flakes, so it can get a little messy.



So those are just three cheeses. There's so much more! What a world cheese can open you into. With crackers, apples, figs, fruity spread, jam, and crackers/bread. Did I mention that I try to add cheese to almost anything I cook? The grater is my best friend, after the cheese slicer. They are precious utensils in my kitchen. I feel like every cook has that easy wow you factor like add a pinch of paprika or pepper. Mine is a few ounces of grated cheese. I like to think that when I add cheese to something, it add its own cheesey flavor but also enhances and brings out the tastes of what it accompanies. Think about creamy jarlsberg wrapped around sauteed asparagus. Yes, I'm drooling too. Sometimes I secretly favor the recipes on allrecipes.com that feature some amount of cheese. I know it's bias, but we all have it when it comes to food. Mine just happens to be odd and about cheese.

Isn't it exciting to try new cheeses and pair them with wines and fruit? It's a great present to bring to a potluck or friendly dinner date. It's the go-to. I don't understand how anyone could not like wine. I hope this blog helps you, encourage you to try more wine. Go to your nearest shop and grab the weirdest cheese and wine. It'll be a great time.



Do other people feel the same as I do for cheese? If not, is it for something else? Meat, olives, prunes? I guess there are lots of types of meat but you have to prepare it and cook it with things. It's too complicated to be that easy wow factor to add with almost anything. I will say, meat is pretty great too. Actually, all food come to think of it, but I'm trying to heighten my relationship with my tastebuds. They tell me they like cheese and I give it to them. It's a great system. Now, let me get back to my wine and new cheese with chives and onions. So exotic!

No comments:

Post a Comment