Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tis The Night Before Work

Finally, it has come. Folding and putting away the jeans and bringing out the newly ironed black work pants. I feel old. Making sure I'm pressed and debating whether to wear panty hose. The waiting seemed almost interminable. Everyone else had started and gotten into their work groove, had their busy nights, and paychecks. I was left behind in the dust with my late start date and studying, spending away my savings, and not making any money. It's bittersweet to leave the freedom and free time and gain a new lifestyle. Am I ready to start as a grundoon and think only of manager's wishes? We'll see.



In the mean time, I'm prepping. I got my work stilettos, the clothing, even the the map/directions for the first day of work. I'm getting in the mindset, made some extra leftovers to bring for lunch, and got a gym membership nearby the office. I'm excited to go to happy hours with an actual work outfit and having just left the office like a real working person rather than leaving my house after just changing from PJ's. And I know my bank account is excited for deposits and hopefully less withdrawals.



My aunt even got me a new professional black work bag, so I don't look like I'm too much of a newb. Adults and friends alike have given me advice on the working world and even told me to update my LinkedIn account. I've made sure to keep everyone's comments and suggestions at the forefront of my mind. Yes, I've gotten the list of happy hours. Yes, I have my coffee mug for those days when one cup every hour seems to be the standard. Yes, I know which days I plan to take off because I've already bought a plane ticket.

My dad reminded me that the tradition in his family is the first paycheck you get from your first job is spent taking out the family to a nice dinner. I would say Chipotle should be included in this category. Then I reminded my dad that I am just starting to pay back my student loans. Thank you. We have come to an agreement that I will visit my house once a week after work. I'll stay over at home and hang out with the empty nesters in return for a free meal and some old-school "allowance." Old habits die hard.



I'm excited to start working and have that lifestyle where TGIF really means something. Friday is really payday and rush hour is something I have to drive through and not avoid. I won't completely retire the old days. I'll live up the weekends, eat some Ramen like I'm a first-year, and call my parents asking them to put more money into my account for rent.  Tis the night before the first day of work, and I'm hoping my three alarms don't fail me. Here's to joining the world of the Man in the Gray Flannel Suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment