Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fall Munchkins

I don't know how you do your errands, but I always make sure I find time for a treat while I do mine. A treat can be one of the new pumpkin spiced lattes at Starbucks or a cookie from a small cafe. Yesterday while doing the usual errand run, I treated myself to my favorite: donuts. I'm pretty sure every person has a love affair with a specific dessert/snack that started way back in the day. Here's my story.

When I just started playing soccer when I was a wee one, my dad encouraged me by offering me donuts for every goal I scored. There is no motivation better than sugar and fried dough. I remember after I scored a goal I would look at my dad in the stands with that face that said, "we're going to Dunkin' Donuts right after this game." Of course getting a little girl hooked on donuts is not the healthiest decision, but this was before the Atkins-no carbs-0 calorie Splenda-vegan diet days. Later as my dad knew that I didn't need donuts to motivate me in my soccer games, he turned it into a weekend tradition. The night before my dad would ask me which donuts to pick up, I always picked two: one classic chocolate covered donut and the other I rotated the specialties. Of course this obsession with donuts translated to other desserts like pies, cakes, pastries, etc, but donuts were my first love. And my dad did a good job of reconciling the two of us everytime I came back home from school breaks. Sadly, the nearest Dunkin' was about 25 miles away near Ruckersville (!), so coming home to a half-dozen of my favorite chocolate tire wheels, chocolate covered, marble frosted, and the specialty sprinkles (red and blue for 4th of July, red and green for Christmas, etc.) was the best "surprise" I could get. I knew that when I came home there would be a bunch of untouched, fresh donuts on the kitchen table for me, but each time I was still surprised to see them and the fact that my dad remembered to get them.



Keep this story in the back of your mind. Now, imagine my excitement when I realized that right next to the Fed Ex office store that there was a Dunkin' right next to it. I felt like some of heaven fell on earth and beckoned me using the splendid smell of sugary donuts. Heck, it was destiny. In my purse I had a free latte coupon for Dunkin' Donuts from my mom. I walked inside and was greeted by the same, unchanging, comforting display of jellies, kruellers, creme filled, and munchkin donuts. My mind raced as I forced myself to choose from the numerous options and, finally, decided on the seasonal fall munchkins. You really can't say no to sprinkles, especially when they match the season (or should be). I don't see any orange leaves yet, but I'm sure that buying those fall munchkins encouraged all those leaves out there to follow suit.


Just thinking of my delicious snack is making me want to drive to a Dunkin' right now. I know there are a lot of haters and naysayers out there who think donuts are not worth the hype. If it's Homer Simpson's favorite dessert snack and Dunkin' has created an empire off such a simple item, it's definitely worth it. Peeps, on the other hand, not so much. 

Taking a bite out of those munchkins threw me back to my childhood where almost anything can be forgotten or made better just by tasting this delicious donut. I can't believe this dessert has so much influence over me. Then I looked around at the other people in the store and realized that everyone munching on their donuts was making the same face of true satisfaction as I was. It was nice to be in such good company for those few moments. Like all yummy, small desserts, these two munchkins were gone way too fast. After my flavorful snack, I was all geared up to finish my errands and get back to studying. Donuts can be a great pick-me-up.

There are few foods that are so scrumptious that the taste stays with you. So few meals or snacks that when you think about them, make you want to re-experience the taste so bad that your stomach already starts to make room so it could eat more. Chocolate lava cake and paella are some examples, but these are definitely not things you can eat all the time. Donuts, though, are a more frequent dose of tastebud heaven, especially when they have seasonal sprinkles! 

No comments:

Post a Comment