Thursday, October 21, 2010

Getting Tuned In

For those of you coffeeholics you probably already know that Starbucks has just introduced its digital network (SDN - see CNN story). It sounds amazing. For those of you not in the loop, Starbucks is not only offering free WiFi to its patrons but also a whole integrated network of news, entertainment, music, and local tidbits provided through the WiFi service. All those newspapers that Starbucks sells are now available online for free through the SDN: USA Today, WSJ minus a few pieces, and the NY Times.

Starbucks is aiming to amp up its "local atmosphere" experience. I don't know how much of a local atmosphere that Starbucks currently provides because it's such a nationalized chain, but this SDN seems like it's a step toward that experience. I mostly use the Washington Post, Washingtonian, and the coupon websites for local information, but a more streamlined, online grouping of neighborhood news will be much more convenient. Look out Washington Post! A free WSJ and NY Times I don't know if it would be worth getting it delivered anymore.



I can't wait to try the SDN. I'm a pretty big fan of Starbucks. I love coffee, therefore I love Starbucks. The local cafes are great too, and I prefer them because there is so much more effort and heart that goes into them. However, if you're seen the Arlington Rap video, you will understand that finding a unique, local cafe  is a little difficult compared to the Starbucks on every corner. Getting the free WiFi is pretty handy. Starbucks is perfect to hang out with friends, but even better, a good location to study, if you can find a seat. Music, business, news, etc would help with procrastination too! If people don't hang out at Starbucks  now, then they definitely will after the SDN introduction. Unfortunately, I don't know how many people know about this network. I was scrolling through headlines and caught this, so it was pretty random.

For some reason Starbucks is using Yahoo as the provider - I guess Google is too busy with their Androids? We'll see how it works. I'll write more on the SDN once I test it out. I'm looking forward to the music that Starbucks plans to share on its network. A good idea for Starbucks would be the more you use the SDN, the more free lattes you get. Do you hear that Starbucks?

No comments:

Post a Comment