Sunday, September 12, 2010

Oddities at the Gym

Like most young Americans, I am a fan of the gym. Although there are so many ways I could spend my $40/month membership, but getting in shape and watching the oddities occur in front of you are nearly priceless. My gym in Reston doesn't get too crowded, especially Sunday afternoon, except for the few middle aged folks needing a break from lawn care or cooking for the week. On my usual routine, ready to toss my bag into the locker, I peeked around the locker room and saw a large, naked woman using the hair dryer. Mmm, odd. Do odd things make you wonder about the comedic nature of other people? Do they know they are doing something odd or is it normal for them? Maybe I'm the only person who finds that odd.

Once I got to the elliptical with The Nanny Diaries, I thought I had experienced my share of odd things at the gym. I was wrong. With my music blaring and pumping those legs and arms, I finally realized the man next to me was half wheezing, half grunting and lunging with each thrust of the elliptical arms. I looked over and he looked at me with this incredulous face which seemed to say, "this is how all men use the treadmill." I avoided looking to my right side and kept to my business but winced at every loud grunt.

On to the mats, more unusual behavior. A lady in the Lamaze position sitting against the wall. If this is a new yoga position, I need to get back to class. I love working out on the mats, so I can see other people stretch and flex in different ways to get inspiration for updating my workouts. Unfortunately, I don't think the Lamaze will change my usual routine. A few crunches and planks later, the lady is still doing the Lamaze, and I realize she must be meditating. Do you really need quiet to meditate? I would bet you just need a place you can block out the noise and distractions. For this lady, it was the gym.

Perhaps it's just people being in the zone and all pumped up from endorphins that they act a little odd at the gym. Even more probable, I'm not noticing my own odd behavior. Regardless, those oddities make the gym pretty entertaining, I might have to leave my shuffle back at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment