Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Love for The Washingtonian

I never thought one magazine could affect me as much as The Washingtonian. It began as an innocent curiosity with no intent of getting involved in a serious relationship. Like how most relationships develop, I became to get attached. With every coming weekend or activity I always sought the advice and suggestions of Washingtonian. With its spectacular success rates, I subscribed to the weekly e-mail newsletters of restaurant openings and reviews, weekend nightlife, and any other DC happenings that an article could be written about. Slowly, I became obsessed.

I didn't notice this transition until a friend finally blurted out, "you should get paid to talk about them!" I finally realized how much I like that silly magazine. I most definitely don't fit into their classic readership: middle-aged women with above average incomes, but maybe someday. So if I don't fit their target group, why am I reading it and referencing it so much? Their excellent coverage of restaurants, events, and local businesses in an online database and well-formatted e-mail newsletters. Not typically a forte of couture women's magazines. However, the hits don't stop coming. This past weekend I attended the highly publicized Fashion's Night Out where I enjoyed some late night shopping, thumping music in the background, and a wine glass in my hand. Not to mention the blocks long line for free Georgetown Cupcake that my friend Ashley and I managed to finagle into due to our inability to stop talking. Here's a heaping of appreciation with even more admiration. 

Now, if only others could understand why I love this magazine so much. Where did I find out about Annie Creamcheese? Washingtonian. How did I know what time the jazz concert was in the Smithsonian Sculpture Gardens? Washingtonian. From whom did I get that free Hello Cupcake coupon? Washingtonian. Who notified me about DC Restaurant Week? Washingtonian. Although high-powered wealthy older women are the target, clearly there's a lot to offer to the younger metropolitan crowd, especially if you aren't a socialite with someone planning your schedules for you. So, are there equivalents for other cities? Not sure. I've tried to look up a comparative magazine for NYC, but ended up with the meager NY Mag and something inferior called Timeout.

All in all, I'm pretty proud of discovering my DC guru, but more importantly, I hope you find it just as helpful as I do. As always, thank you Washingtonian for the tip! Now, off to the gym to work off all those muffins I've been eating while I read my obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment