Friday, September 24, 2010

Mangia!

They say, "don't eat your feelings." Sooo what would happen to that comforting, buttery, fattening, fried southern food? Where would all those chocolate bars and ice cream pints go? Don't eat your feelings. If only I didn't feel, I could probably follow that mantra. When I'm hot, I want a cold salad or tuna fish sandwich. When I'm cold, I want a latte and soup. When I have wine, I want delectable creamy French cheese. If I'm drunk, I want pizza. When I get a bad grade/get into a fight/heartbreak/insert any situation here, I want chocolate.That's the joy of being able to pick and choose the food you eat: it matches how you feel at that very moment. When I pass a vent that smells like lard (all those who've been on a college campus can relate to this), then I want some McDonald's french fries. If you're feeling light, by all means, get that salad or uber healthy edamame bean mix.

Translating all those unfair moments in life when you can't make a decision for yourself or unlucky stuff happens to you, choosing what you eat seems like a breath of justice. Yes, the metro was 15 minutes late today because of service delays and there was street cleaning that I didn't know about and got a ticket, but yes, I, me, get to choose what I eat for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner. Even if you get wined and dined by corporate, YOU get to choose that expensive meal that is too big to eat in one sitting but too inappropriate to bring back leftovers. There are so few decisions we get to make. Yes, I would like that Banana Republic sale to last all year, yes I would like a size smaller than XXL available, but no, I can't make those decisions. A slice of key lime pie is heavenly not just because of the lime zest, lime juice, and excessive amount of sugar, but also because I chose to eat that delicious dessert over all the other mouthwatering waistline expanding treats. 

Harking back to that moment when your parents finally let you dress yourself, that same exhilaration of controlling your near distant future exists when you get to choose what you eat. Yes, you should have that nagging feeling if you've eaten at KFC five times that week, but that has no bearing on the fact that you had the power to decide to eat there each time. Just as you have no power or decision during those 40+ hours you spend at work, all those hours outside of work is at the mercy of your decision making. Nothing makes my Type A self happier than writing in my Moleskine planner with my bright gel plan the plans that I have made for the week. If I write down buy Georgetown cupcakes on Friday evening, a kernel of excitement is released in my brain because I have chosen to eat my feelings. No, I'm not hurting or upset be cause I'm eating cupcakes. I'm TGIF-ing and cupcakes is a perfect way to celebrate. 

If I decided to follow the mantra, "don't eat your feelings." I would probably bore myself with healthy steel-cut oats for breakfast, three-bean salad for lunch, and lemon-caper salmon for dinner every day of the week. While good for you and taste bud sparking, there is no way I could eat these meals all the time, especially if I was feeling in a certain mood. You know when you see that bottle of red wine and remember you have some dark chocolate cake in the fridge, no amount of juicy salmon could compare. Then and there, a distinct click has been made in my head and I know that before the end of the night I will stop all that I'm doing and break out the wine and chocolate cake. Think of all those endorphins you just released! Why would you deprive yourself of satisfying your feelings? Nope the suggestion to "not eat your feelings" is not only foolish but also emotionally damaging. Can you deny yourself happiness at every meal every day? Certainly not. Yes, I can make myself wait and look forward to those every-now-and-then meals like chicken parmesan, but ignoring my feelings would just make me focus more on the fact that I'm torturing myself. It's much better to listen to your body and, in moderation, "eat your feelings." 

I will have my key lime pie, my cupcakes, my cake and eat them all. Thank you Marie Antoinette. There's nothing like manifesting your power in the decision to eat all the desserts, fried food, and bean salad that you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment