Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ecstasy from Shopping

In preparing for my alfredo pasta meal, I planned my route from the gym to the nearest shopping center, loaded with appealing stores for the shopaholic. After parking my car in the middle of the parking lot for maximum walking distance, I headed for Loft. I knew it was a bad decision considering I had just received a package from them that I ordered a week ago. Regardless, I walked in, determined to compare my style and closet with the ones the store offered me. I was doing well - just browsing, looking at the new season's colors and styles: cropped jackets, beads and sequins, and colorful sweaters. Then I made a beeline to the sale section, knowing the XS area would be barren. I beat the odds and found a great patterned top for work. Even better, I managed to find an outfit with a gray skirt, big jeweled necklace. Then I was off to the dressing room to spend some more time analyzing my options and debating whether my walk-in-closet could swallow another clothing item. Ten minutes later, I left the store with a small Loft logo bag in my hand. The thrill of walking out with the feeling of success can be rivaled by little else.

Next door, a friendly neighborhood Starbucks. Thinking I would just get coffee, I glanced at the menu and saw that the pumpkin spice latte was back on the specials list. Oh how I have missed the fall. Although it was almost 80 degrees outside while I was sipping my autumn latte, it still felt great. My mini Paris here in Reston. Mimicking my leisure experience in the French city, I sat at a table outside, drinking my coffee and snacking on a small cookie, and watching everything pass by. There's definitely something special to this pastime. Although most would not consider buying a latte shopping, I would put it in the broad category of a shopping outing. With a full stomach and some warmth from the sun, I packed up and again, went next door but this time to look at books.

My frugal mom had always praised the benefits of the local free public library system and discouraged the expensive book stores. Yes, I do read a book once, so buying a book is not a great return on your investment, unless you get a good price. Just as my previous post about coupons and deals, I found a deal of a book for $1: the Nanny Diaries. I have a steadfast habit of reading a book before I see a movie, but in this case, $1 swayed my mind.

At long last, I finally made it to the Whole Foods with my Loft bag, a full stomach, and a book. The samples at Whole Foods, while not as abundant as Costco's, are plenty delicious. Munching on some grapes and cheese, I browsed the produce department, picked up some of my newest obsession, mushrooms, and finally grabbed the chicken that caused the entire outing. All of purchases managed to fit in my recyclable bag, which gets you five cents off at some locations! The exhilaration of walking to the car with the groceries for toinght's dinner, a new top for work which will most likely be worn at a bar first, and a book to pass the time until my next blog post made it a pretty successful day. All this success even before dinner can give you an ecstasy from shopping like nothing else.

As always, I welcome comments, opinions, and remarks, so feel free to leave your thoughts.

1 comment: