Saturday, December 6, 2014

Cook Plenty, Cook Often

Yes, I know it has been a while. What have I been doing with my time? I have been cooking, cooking, and...cooking. I love it! Before I started college I could barely boil and cook pasta. My sister can attest to this. Now, I'm giving out recommendations and talking sauces, stir fries, curries, ratatouille, you name it. I will give credit to my college roommates among others who have helped me find one of my passions!

For starters, you need some inspiration for cooking right? Well, here is mine. I think snacking while I cook prevents me from making stupid decisions because I'm hungry.



Being a Type A person you would think I would be pretty regimented in how I cook, but I'm not. My goto for recipes is Allrecipes.com and like most cooks, I don't have all the ingredients. I supplement :) Or as I say, I make it my own. Don't have a tomato, used canned tomatoes or throw in some red bell pepper! Oh, and adding garlic powder and paprika will make everything taste better, I promise. 

A typical question, what do you like to cook? I love cooking everything, except I don't like taking apart a big roasted chicken. Not a fan. My favorite things to cook are chili, ratatouille, lamb, Indian curries, desserts and anything that I can add wine to! Believe it or not there's a lot that you can add wine to, think of any sauce and even veggies like cabbage. Something super awesome that I've made is this dish called mansaf, a traditional Jordanian dish. There's a great Mediterranean shop nearby that had jameed, found it finally!, so lo and behold this amazing dish with some expensive pine nuts on top! Jameed is like liquid delicious thick yogurt. Wow I'm almost embarrassed to say that I could eat this on its own, but no not really embarrassed. There's some leftover in the freezer, yum. 



No you don't cook desserts but they're included in this post. They're made in the kitchen so they should are included. Dates are amazing to bake with - think of the best granola bar and then add some nuts on top and a sweet date layer aka date squares! And you can eat them by themselves. Dates stuffed with blue cheese, almond, pistachio...oh wait there's a company that already does most of that. It's called Bateel and they're like Godiva for dates. Unfortunately, there aren't any locations in the US but I'm hoping I can change that one day! Here's a pic so you can understand the scrumptiousness that I'm talking about. 

Yes, now I hope you understand. I'm keeping this short and sweet but there will be more to come! 


No comments:

Post a Comment